1.17.2011

must-make maple scones

Remember last week when I reunited with Trader Joe's? (We only get there a couple times a year because it's a little off our beaten path.) Not only did I try--err, inhale those dark chocolate covered pretzels everyone's been raving about, I also picked up two of my favs: real maple syrup and real OJ. Of course I could pick up maple syrup anywhere, or squeeze my own OJ, but there's something ceremonious about getting them both as part of my shopping ritual there. At any rate, such little luxuries call for a break-feast. And these maple oat scones were just the ticket. So long resolutions...these are a must try. They received 5 stars in this house.

{from the Farm Chicks cookbook, used with permission. Thanks Serena!}


Scones:

1 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
2 t. baking powder
10 T. cold unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
1/3 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 large egg
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture has tiny lumps throughout. Add cream, maple syrup, and egg; mix until well combined. Stir in walnuts. Spread dough into 1" thick, 8" circle on an unfloured surface. Cut into 8 pieces and place on baking sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes until lightly golden.

Maple Glaze:

1 T. butter, melted
2 T. maple syrup
3-4 T. heavy cream
1 c. powdered sugar

Mix butter, syrup and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time and whisk until glaze is smooth and desired consistency.
Spread on cooling scones and invite your friends over for tea.

11 comments:

Olivia said...

There is nothing like homemade scones.

The Schommers said...

i think you should make this for work this weekend ;o)

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Didn't even need to read this post to know I'd love it. Being a proud Canadian girl, I absolutely MUST make these maple scones!

Yay for Tumblr Tuesday. Looking forward to coming back here tomorrow to see your picks. I've got a theme this week. It involves my favourite hot beverage.

Cassie said...

These look yummy! I just used the last of my maple syrup this weekend to add to the coffee icing for my sponge cake - just a little treat!

So pleased to hear you are joining in with Tumblr Tuesday and pointed people this way too from mine today. Look forward to seeing what you choose.
xx

Katie {My Paisley Apron} said...

I love making scones! I'll definitely have to give these a try next time we make them.

Carole said...

Hubby is the scone maker in our family. I'll have to show him this recipe (though we'd probably forgo the glaze).

Thanks for sharing!

Mandygirl238 said...

They are in the oven! I toasted the nuts in a little butter & cinnamon first..smells SOO wonderful. Can't wait to taste them!

On Second Street said...

those look delicious!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Ooh sounds delicious!

Bridget said...

those look so delicious - and i can't imagine not living close to trader joes! inf act, i was there yesterday and today. you need to move closer. it will enrich your life. ok thats an exaggeration.

kira lee said...

looks delicious!