1.16.2011

sewed a tote!

I had the best week. I was spoiled with not one, not two, but three (3!) girly dates. Not only that, but 2 little outings with my boys. AND a trip to Trader Joes. Wow. I could get used to this. Guess that's what happens when the temperature is above 10 degrees for a week straight. We've been painting the town.

Tuesday night was my first ever book club experience. I'd been wanting to join my friend's club all year, but kept having schedule conflicts. Am so glad I went this week because the discussion adds a whole new layer to the {already} good read. It's always so good to do things in community. We read the Art of Racing in the Rain. I thought I would hate it--because I don't really like dogs or race cars....But I loved it. Loved it you guys.

Wednesday afternoon coffee with one of my sweet college roommates. I'm happy to have caught her before her world travels. She is on her way to Jordan & Israel as we speak. I so want to go there someday.

And Saturday I ran off to my friend Brie's sewing class. We made these really simple, handy, AND reversible tote bags. If you're local, she's teaching the exact same class again in February at Darn.Knit.Anyway in Stillwater, MN. She's an amazing crafter and teacher. I've officially been bit by the bag-making bug. I want to make 1,000 more, with crazy variations like pockets and pleats. I even learned a new fabric flower technique! :)
I backed the fabric rose with a pin so I could detach it for washing. (There's no way on earth this will stay white!)
P.S. Does anyone know what fabrics these are? Wish I'd paid closer attention. Guess I was too smitten.

14 comments:

said...

That tote is so cute! I wish I could sew. Did you use cardstock inside the fabric to make the rose? It looks so much more structured than mine always do :/

kt said...

Really fun post - your week sounds amazing :)

and um... can you share the flower technique with us PUHLEASSE :)
I have an urge to make 1,000 of them :)

JSchaller said...

Very cute, Jess. The flower looks like how my girls' braided fabric trivets looked if I let the layers overlap as we wound them around - I wonder if it's the same idea?

Heather J said...

hooray for good weeks! I love your tote and now have a desire to make one. So cute.

ashley sullivan said...

just love the red & white fabric you used for the lining! lovely!

Jenna Lou said...

No idea what fabric you picked... but it's adorable!!

Olivia said...

So cute.
I've seen the inside fabric before while searching online, but I don't remember what it's called.

Also, your weeks sounds just perfect.

summer said...

jessica this is INSANE!
sooooo darling. i love, love, love it!

Melinda said...

Aww - I absolutely love this bag! I wish I had time to make crafty things like you. :) Great job sweetie!

Cassie said...

Love this bag, I have my mind set on a new bag for Spring because I have Christmas/Birthday money and vouchers burning a hole in my pocket! One of these would fit the bill.
xx

Amanda said...

So fun! I love the fabric, and the flower... Totally makes me want to dust off my sewing machine!

Shannon said...

Love that bag! You always make the cheeriest stuff.

Relyn Lawson said...

I have no idea what that fabric is, but I know I'd buy it in a minute if you were selling them.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

What a pretty tote!