1.18.2011

11 goals for 2011:

How embarrassing, to finally announce my goals now that we're over the hump of January. As I always say, better late than never. I'm not one for making resolutions or vowing not to do this that or the other. Rather, I've listed some personal goals that I'm spinning into action.

1. Wear more color.

2. Eat, prepare, and purchase more whole foods. Learn to make fruit leather (we love this stuff!)

3. Start a vegetable garden. If anything actually grows, I will can and freeze that which we cannot eat or donate.

4. Spend more time in devotion + prayer. I want to get to know Jesus better.

5. Take better photos. I had the same goal last year, and I'm sure it will be high on my list next year and the year after that...This year I am excited about participating in the MCP Project 52. (I've often thought of jumping on board with the 365 photo-a-day project, but I'm afraid that in reality, I won't be able to stick with it. I can't seem to even blog once a day, let alone take pics!) The MCP project just involves one photo assignment per week, which is more realistic for me, and something I can actually accomplish! This week's theme is Shades of Gray. I resisted my initial instinct to take a b+w photo, and instead raided my rather monotone closet (see goal #1). I am trying to convince Jeff that he needs to do Project 52 with me. Don't you think it would be fun to post side by side photos!? We also made a list of professional goals for our business--and one of them is to attend a workshop. Really excited about this!

6. Read 6 books. I know, it's not a very ambitious number. But in the last year, I can remember reading maybe 3 grown-up books and 10,000 picture and/or board books. My brain is beginning to shrink; I think that getting through one book every other month may help remedy the situation. Am making a list. What's one of your favorite reads?

7. Potty train Graham. I read somewhere that cloth diapered kiddos are more receptive to, and on average, are potty trained 1 year earlier. Am crossing my fingers that all of our extra stinky laundry loads were not in vain. This afternoon he woke up from his nap repeating "no potty chair, no potty chair." Clearly, we're off to a great start! Advice!?

8. Keep a tidier house. I can't seem to commit a full day to cleaning--I just get too distracted, it's no fun at all, plus it's tough to keep up with all of Graham's simultaneous messes on the side. I am testing out a new system, where I clean 1-2 rooms each day (when I am not working). I've also started a new routine of setting a time every night after tucking G into bed and fully devoting 20 minutes to straightening up. So far, so good!

9. Craft something new every week.

10. Sew a dress.

11. Spend less. I've heard of a few people committing to not buying anything new all year! Of course food and household needs are an exception, but everything else is straight from thrift stores, salvage yards, and garage sales. This is a lofty one--could you imagine a whole year without a fresh pair of undies!? But I love the intentionality behind it. Less consumerism, less waste, more money in your pocket, and more appreciation for that which we do have. So I'm attempting to implement some mini versions of this goal: a) I will not buy anything new (besides food!) for one month. b) When the spring wardrobe urge strikes, I will buy vintage.

So I guess that was more like 20 goals, consolidated into 11 so I could stick with the year theme...

What is your biggest goal for 2011?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the help last fall and LOVED it! It's a longer read, but so worth it!

Jenna Lou said...

I love the idea of little goals. They don't have to last the year or even the month, but just things to keep in mind and steadily work for.

If you discover the secret to fruit leather you better share! I'm terrified to even try because I don't want to spoil something so good.

Good luck on all your goals... and remember that just because you slipped away doesn't mean that you have to stop all together, just start again!

Jenna Lou said...

Oh yeah.... and books. I "read" a lot while I'm sewing (ipod I LOVE thee). Here are my top picks from last year.

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
Time Travelers Wife
Water For Elephants
Good in Bed - Jennifer Weiner
The Alchemist
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

This list is narrowed down from over 50. Many of these are from top sellers lists and now I know why.... cause they are great books.

Sandra said...

I have several book suggestions (although you only asked for one) . . . Same Kind of Different As Me by Hall, Moore and Vincent; My Life in France by Child; If I Perish by Kim and Redeeming Love by Rivers. Good luck with all of your goals!

Cottage Mommy said...

I love your style and all your clothes...my knees go weak at the sight of that pile, although I have a thing for grey....love your list - lots of good things!

kt said...

ooh you have some good and fun goals here!!

I also am wanting to implement more colour into my wardrobe this year :)

and do a photography workshop .. shooting on auto is getting old!

so excited to see how you go with all this :)

Leslie said...

I love this list.
and I love that someone listed same kind of different as me..
I just ordered off amazon.

really want to read that one.

Michelle said...

Wonderful list! I love your goals! Books to read:
Water for Elephants
The Book Thief
Cold Rock River
Baby Proof
Something Borrowed
Something Blue

Chelle said...

I so love your list + clothes Jess...we girls were just remarking the other day on how amazed we are at how you can dress like you just stepped out of Anthro but all for Target prices...
and am still working on my to-do list for the year...so don't feel too behind the times...also, I just ordered Same Kind of Different As Me from the library and am hoping to take it with us on our little getaway this week...also really excited for my copy of One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are to come from Amazon, by Ann Voskamp.

Katie {My Paisley Apron} said...

Books I love: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant; The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald; Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (terrible title, but great book); Giants in the Earth.

Potty training: several people I know have had good luck with the "take 2-3 whole days, let them run naked in the house, and catch them every time they start to go and put them on the potty" method. We didn't use that though, it sounded messy and time-consuming to me. I just took Elijah to pee in the potty every 20-30 minutes or so, and then increased the time. Pooping was trickier - most people I know get the peeing down easy, but the pooping takes longer.

mama b said...

some books that will inspire and challenge your socks off:

Same Kind of Different As Me (AMAZING)
Choosing to SEE (insanely tender, real, honest, sweet)
Forgotten God
Radical

enjoy! :)

Janel said...

I clicked on your blog link from the MCP flickr pool. Boy am I glad I did! Not only do I love your photograph entry for the "Shades of Grey" theme, (it's my favorite!) but I know I could spend way too much time in the "older posts" section of your blog! Needless to say, I bookmarked you. :)

lisa said...

i always tell myself i'm going to make myself wear more color, but whenever i shop, i head straight for the black and gray.

i love wearing colorful cocktail jewelry though, so that helps :)

Melinda said...

Just a quick answer to #6 - I would absolutely recommend, "Reshaping it All" by Candace Cameron Bure! :) Trust me. That is all I'll say. :) Hope you have a great week sweetie!

Cassie said...

I think maybe it is good to get into the month and settle back to normal before setting goals, when the excitement of a new year wears off a little.

Love the photography project goal as I have a similar one and am with you on the reading more too.

Good luck with all of these and particularly the potty training - seen many nephews and nieces through this!
xx

Miss G said...

I really like your shades of grey photo!

1. As for clothes I got rid of approx. 1/3 of my wardrobe (fall/winter) last week and want to get rid of more. I am already enjoying the simplicity of less in that dept. I would like to replace some of what I presently own with better quality, classic pieces. Get one, get rid of two. We'll see how it goes. I love how feminine your stack of clothes looks. I'm still working out the roll with the punches mama clothes with looking good too!

2. I want to make my own chocolate syrup and more salad dressings and other things that we buy but are full of chemicals.

4. A few devotional books I really like "The Frazzled Female" by Cindi Wood, Designing a Woman's Life, developing your unique passion and purpose . . .

5. I do think it would be a lot of fun to see your photos and Jeff's side by side.

6. 6 books is a great goal I think. Not too big, not too small. Plus there's nothing that says if you finish six you can't read seven. (Did you make that goal #6 on purpose so you could match up the sixes?) Good books: A Trip to the Beach, the Anne of Green Gables series, Jan Karon's books . . .

8. have you ever heard of flylady? I know a lot of people don't like her but I do. I think people get overwhelmed thinking they need to follow her program to the letter but really she's all about you tailoring it to fit your lifestyle. I agree that cleaning too much at once is boring and no fun. There need to be spurts of creativity in there to make it fun!

9. We did a "no spend month" two Januarys ago (very small food budget and we bought gas for our cars). I really enjoyed it. I crafted a lot more and used things I had and stayed home a lot more which made it easier to craft more because I had way more time! It made me realize how much running around and buying things sucked time!

Well now that I've written a book of a comment . . .

Kelly

Unknown said...

i can relate to sooo many things here! everything i wear is black, white, or grey! have a great day! susan