12.22.2009

dec. daily {no. 22} photo ornament tutorial

Time for the second annual handmade ornament tutorial + grand finale of my December dailies. (Am bugging out early, I know!) This year, I made a big batch of these baby block ornaments to give as gifts to all of Graham's doting grand and great-grandparents and saved one for our little family. These make perfect baby's 1st Christmas ornaments, but of course you could decorate yours with absolutely any theme.

Supply round up:
1. glitter, lots of glorious glitter
2. tiny eyelet screws (found these in the wood section at Michael's)
3. wooden baby blocks
4. pretty scrapbook paper
5. foam brush
6. embellishments (I am a button freak)
7. small paint brushes
8. paint
9. decoupage (because no great ornament tutorial would be complete without it!)
10. glue
11. ink pad (I'm obsessed with Staz On ink)
12. scissors
13. ribbon, twine, or ric rac
14. photos, printed in 1" squares
Start out by painting your blocks. I lightly painted over the carved out letters to give it more depth and a two-tone effect. Allow to dry.Next, glue on paper squares and glitter as many sides as you please.To create the itty-bitty photos, I created a collage of our latest family photo shoot using Photoshop. It just cost 15 cents to have this printed as a 4x6 at Walgreens.Once your paint and glue have dried, it's time to decoupage on your mini pictures. I choose to cut mine small enough to leave a small border around the photo. Use your decoupage to coat entire block. Once sealed, use hot glue or tacky glue to adhere buttons or other fun embellishments. To give it a bit of an antique look--lightly swipe ink pad over corners. I used rubber and acrylic stamps to add Graham's initials and the date to the top of the block. And to finish it off--screw eyelet hook into top of block and lace with a pretty piece of ribbon or twine and hang it on your Christmas tree!

In hindsight, I might have saved the glittered side for the absolute last step. It works either way, but you're probably familiar with the wandering tendencies of glitter...I had some trouble keeping it off of my pictures and ink pad.

This is the part where I wish you the warmest, most wonderful Christmas yet. Am wrapping up early, packing up the car, and heading home for the rest of the week to celebrate Christ's coming and indulge on cookies. Will be back in 2010. Wouldn't miss it.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas + Happy New Year!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! I wish I actually had the patience to make my own ornaments! It looks so good!

Jacy said...

These are adorable!! I'll definitely keep this tucked away for next year! Thanks for sharing and hope you and your precious little family have a very Merry Christmas!!

Susan said...

Thanks, Jess! I love this idea!
I think it would be wonderful for pics of both of my grandkids too! I may not get to this project for this year's Christmas tree, but maybe for next year! Thank you for the tutorial! Here's wishing you a wonderful Christmas with your little family, and all those near and dear to your heart!
BLessings!

Ashley said...

I love this tutorial!! such a cute idea!

On Second Street said...

seriously, you come up with the cutest ideas.

Pixie said...

That is THE most adorable and thoughtful gift for grandparent's ever!

Nancy said...

Cutest gift ever... I want to make these and a small tree with them next year. Wishing you a merry, merry

bethany said...

Jess, this tutorial is amazing and gorgeous! Now if only I had a sweet little baby to decoupage onto these ornaments! :) Filing this idea away for use in 2015, or something :)

Merry Christmas...thanks for the tutorial! LOVE IT! :)

jen byard said...

I love these! Thanks so much for sharing. I'll stow this idea away for next year...

Olive Tree said...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

mommy2luke2008 said...

These are beautiful ornaments! I featured them on my friday favorites!
http://lilbitofus.blogspot.com/2010/11/friday-favoritesornaments-edition.html