3.31.2008

our nest: bed + bath

Another classic example of our humble beginnings: 1. We have no headboard/real bed! Just a boring stack of springs+mattress atop a standard metal frame. 2. I'm completely stalling & torn between upholstering my own headboard or snagging a gem of a sleigh bed from Craigslist. It's tough to know how long we'll stay in this place and whether its worth falling in love with expensive and therefore seemingly permanent furniture. 3. Our wedding picture (heart) needs to have a presence on this wall, but right now it looks like it's just floating in midair! We need the sort of bed that will anchor everything together! 4. Am still struggling to figure out fashionable AND functional window treatments. I need all the bright sunshine San Francisco has to offer on most days, but I also work lots of night shifts (drag) and therefore require pitch black to sleep during some bright sunny days. Advice? On the brighter side, I'm still pretty satisfied with my splurge on this PB quilt. This dresser is a relic of Jeff's childhood. His parents bought it at a farm auction when they lived in South Dakota. Of all the times I visited their home while we were dating, I never noticed this little treasure tucked in between bunkbeds & electronic devices in the room Jeff shared with his bro: 1. because they never setup the mirror (the best part!) and 2. because it needed a little more than a little love. So a few months before our wedding, my dad and I hauled it down to our basement and gave it the ultimate sand+stain+varnish spa treatment! Jeff added the crystal knobs. I know they're not original, but I like them much better. Oh--and yes, those are my substantial hips in the picture. :)

Nothing much to brag about here--except that it's clean and has warm running water! :) Not shown is our hideous pea-green-with-sparkles-shell-shaped sink circa 1970. It's awful. Really. But what our bathroom lacks in luxury probably saves us a whole lotta money in rent! However, I do love, love the fact that we have a built-in linen closet! It has ample space for towels+toiletries. Where was this in the days of 3 female roommates in college!?

4 comments:

Sara Christine said...

That dresser is drop-dead gorgeous! Hang on to that one forever (or give to me!). ;)

deerseason87 said...

You know what would make an amazing headboard? An old French door, with glass panes. You could salvage one at Omega or Urban Ore, and then either just mount it on the wall behind your bed, or put pretty fabric behind the "windows" first!

Leslie said...

seriously loving these pictures, your place is darling, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the charachter. Its so bright and airy.

Fairlightday said...

Love the dresser! Such a lovely piece. And I have a confession to make. Mike and I will celebrate our 6th Anniversary at the end of May and we still have just a mattress, sitting on box springs, sitting on a metal frame. Yep, we do. We can't agree on one that we both like and money has been a deciding factor too. Especially with having kids so soon after. But it's worth it. :)