1.27.2011

heart banner

Hi there! I don't know about you, but winter is really beginning to wear on me. This one has been especially long and brutal! A few late winter/Valentine's Day crafts are just what I needed to cozy in, warm up my hands, and get us through. I finally made a little heart banner for our mantel. We're closing in on February, one of my favorite months and V-day is less than 3 weeks away!

Banner: I love warm, pinky colors and it was so fun sorting through my scrap fabrics to make the hearts! The banner was super simple to make: Just cut rectangles of linen fabric and fold them in half. (Burlap would also look great!) I left the edges torn for a more country look. I cut the hearts out by hand and used iron-on applique to adhere them to the linen rectangles. Last I just sewed them to a pretty piece of leftover ribbon from Paper Source. I love that I didn't have to run out and buy a single thing to make this!
Doily jars: I've seen a few different versions of these fancified empty jars around blogland. How fun to put my stash of empty canning jars to good use! I simply took a stack of mini doilies, cut them up at haphazard angles, and used double-stick tape to stick them to my little collection. I finished them off with a little bakers' twine and stuck a tea light candle in the bottom of each one. (Well almost each one--I came up a couple short and need to pick up some more before I can take a photo of them lit and give you the full effect!)
In between snapping these photos and posting this post, I stopped dead in my tracks, dropped everything, and emergently googled minneapolis chimney sweeps...As I was hanging this little banner, I could hear a wild rumpus of birds/and or squirrels in our chimney!! Sorry critters, I am not a fan of sharing our house. The bad news is, some furry little friends are officially homeless. The good news is, our fireplace is officially fit for fire building! Really excited to finally be able to use it!

23 comments:

Leslie said...

oh is this eye candy.
lots of eye candy.

Well done Jess.

sassy girl said...

very cute - love the picture of how you styled them together!

Krista said...

I am lovin' the banner...so fun!

Kelly said...

so, so lovely! i'm inspired!

Amanda said...

Super, super cute. I bet the jars will look great with the candles lit, too!

Heather J said...

So fun and cute!

Cottage Mommy said...

Love this, love the colors, love the idea, love it!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Love the doily jars!

Anonymous said...

This is adorable!! You are so crafty! LOVE it! :)

jen @ homeinthecountry said...

so cute! the hearts & doilies work perfectly together! I just made a little felt heart garland for my fireplace... otherwise, I'd definitely create one of these beauties for myself! :)

Amanda said...

am loving the colors! You know I'll always have a special place in my heart for pink and orange :)

Cassie said...

Love your banner and the colours you picked out.

I saw a similar one on Tumblr a few weeks back and had a go at making my own versions too. I have sent them off in various directions around the world in little Valentines parcels, so I will have to share them once they have arrived at their destination so I don't spoil the surprise.

Happy Friday!
xx

shannon said...

I could not love this whole arrangement more! SO lovely!! I'm completely inspired.

danielle @ take heart said...

adorable

Anonymous said...

Oh those doily jars are the cutest. I LOVE doilies. Love your banner too! So fun and bright.

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your mantle!

Unknown said...

this is gorgeous! oh wow I wish we had a fireplace right this instant. (:

you're so talented!

i'm a new follower (:

Melinda said...

I love the banner - and oh so simple! :) I have been using alot of clear glass to decorate my apartment these days - and ball canning jars are my absolute fav! Love that you like them too! :) Your home is gorgeous sweetie.

akenney said...

Yay Valentine's! Beautiful canning jars. <3

sheena said...

CUTE!!!

hannah said...

loving those doily jars! just stumbling upon your blog for the first time and already i'm super impressed - keep up that good work!

meg malkin said...

So Swell:) I know this was last years post, I am excited to make a banner for Love Day 2012! Thank you for posting!

meg malkin said...

So Swell:) I am taking your fabulous idea from last year, and making a banner of my own to celebrate Love Day 2012! Thank you for posting!