I don't know about you, but we're still combating leftover turkey here. It's a good thing, really. Last night I made the creamiest, most thick+ tasty turkey soup and it tasted even better leftover today. Leftover-leftovers...It just keeps getting better. It may not look like anything special, but the taste is pretty spectacular on a chilly winter's day.
Creamy Turkey-Bacon Soup
1/2 c. carrots
1/2 c. celery
1/2 c. diced onion
32-oz carton of chicken broth
2 1/2 c. water
3/4 c. jasmine rice (or whatever you have handy)
2 c. chopped leftover turkey
6 T. flour
1/4 t. poultry seasoning
1 1/4 c. whole milk
5 slices crumbled, cooked bacon
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 c. butter
Saute diced carrots, celery, and onion in large stockpot with 1 T. melted butter until soft. Add broth, water, rice and turkey. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Stir as needed.
In a separate saucepan, melt remaining butter. Mix flour + poultry seasoning in a separate bowl, then add to butter; stirring constantly for 1 minute. Then add the milk and cook until it begins to thicken.
Add creamy sauce to soup. Top with bacon, salt, and pepper. Serve + enjoy!
We spent Sunday night and part of yesterday decking the halls around here. I never get tired of decorating the Christmas tree, although I may tire of chasing G away from all the ornaments. He is quite smitten with all of the balls + baubles. I can't believe tomorrow is December. Must put my advent calendar together! For now, I am wrapping up my November gratefuls:
25. I am thankful for family. We had a really delightful time hangin' in at my parents' Thanksgiving weekend.
26. I am thankful for baby girls. It seems like everyone is having them these days!! I am so excited to have heads for all the sweet headbands I've been compulsively making ever since I was pregnant. I'm thankful for this little lady and also my first little niece on the way!
27. I am thankful for God's goodness. He is Love. I am thankful for the ways that he moves in our lives everyday.
28. I am thankful for forgiveness. I hugely wronged Jeff the other day and we got into a bit of a tiff. I'm thankful for mended hearts and thankful that it only makes our marriage stronger.
29. I am thankful for the amazing ultra strong properties of super glue. It's powerful stuff in a super small bottle. Whoever invented it--I think you're really cool.
30. I am thankful for craftiness. For inspiring projects and stacks of fabric + felt. Today I am putting together some sample projects for my Christmas craft party this weekend. I can't even wait!