Diapers, smelly diapers. Wow, I never ever thought I'd be addressing the blog world on this topic. This week we are taking the big smelly plunge and giving cloth diapers a whirl. Literally. I know it's a little nuts. I've been open to the idea since day 1, but those pesky trips to the laundromat and relatively high costs of diaper services got in my way. Now that we're settled in a new place that has the kind of washer and dryer that do not require quarters, I'm falling in love with the idea all over again. A big box of these cute colored dipes just showed up at my door and we're about to embark on a very messy journey.
So why so old school in a world of splendid modern conveniences like disposable dipes and garbage bags?
- These are not your granny's diapers. There are so so many new diapers out there that are easy peasy in comparison. Just google it.
- After doing a few hours of research, I decided on these because they have a separate insert that soaks up the mess...making them a whole lot easier to clean and keep dry.
- These also have velcro in the front. No pins! The average diaper change time will be just as fast as ever.
- Landfills. Carbon footprints. Enough said.
- Cash money, in the bank. We figure that we've been spending about $20/week on diapers so far. These fancy diapers were definitely an initial investment, but compared to the cost of disposables, they will have paid for themselves in just a few months. In fact, if I really put my laundry skills to the test and keep these looking pretty, we'll be able to use this same set for all our future kiddos. Crazy.
- Speaking of the future, these dipes also have snaps that make them one size fits all. G can wear these 'til he weighs 35 lbs or (gasp) we start potty training! We need not spend more to get the next size up.
- I've also heard a whole lot of hype about cloth being better for baby's skin and helping (especially) boys learn to sense wet and potty train early. Whether that's true or false, I'm willing to give this a test drive and am hoping it won't drive me crazy. :)