9.21.2009

the great cloth diaper crossover

Diapers, smelly diapers. Wow, I never ever thought I'd be addressing the blog world on this topic. This week we are taking the big smelly plunge and giving cloth diapers a whirl. Literally. I know it's a little nuts. I've been open to the idea since day 1, but those pesky trips to the laundromat and relatively high costs of diaper services got in my way. Now that we're settled in a new place that has the kind of washer and dryer that do not require quarters, I'm falling in love with the idea all over again. A big box of these cute colored dipes just showed up at my door and we're about to embark on a very messy journey.

So why so old school in a world of splendid modern conveniences like disposable dipes and garbage bags?

  1. These are not your granny's diapers. There are so so many new diapers out there that are easy peasy in comparison. Just google it.
  2. After doing a few hours of research, I decided on these because they have a separate insert that soaks up the mess...making them a whole lot easier to clean and keep dry.
  3. These also have velcro in the front. No pins! The average diaper change time will be just as fast as ever.
  4. Landfills. Carbon footprints. Enough said.
  5. Cash money, in the bank. We figure that we've been spending about $20/week on diapers so far. These fancy diapers were definitely an initial investment, but compared to the cost of disposables, they will have paid for themselves in just a few months. In fact, if I really put my laundry skills to the test and keep these looking pretty, we'll be able to use this same set for all our future kiddos. Crazy.
  6. Speaking of the future, these dipes also have snaps that make them one size fits all. G can wear these 'til he weighs 35 lbs or (gasp) we start potty training! We need not spend more to get the next size up.
  7. I've also heard a whole lot of hype about cloth being better for baby's skin and helping (especially) boys learn to sense wet and potty train early. Whether that's true or false, I'm willing to give this a test drive and am hoping it won't drive me crazy. :)
What are your thoughts? Wish us luck. Poop city, here we come.

9 comments:

Lillian @ Domestic Simplicity said...

Not nuts at all - we loooooove cloth diapers!

Unknown said...

We are currently in up to our elbows in cloth diapers (I gest, it isnt THAT BAD) and we love it. We didnt with our first born so it isnt old hat just yet with baby #2 but we love it and it isnt as tough/mess/gross as I thought.

DeeDee said...

I have a 2 month old, and I've really considered it. We spend like $4 a day on diapers!

emily said...

we are huge advocates for cloth diapering! glad you took the plunge...you won't regret it. the funny thing is that only people who DON'T cloth diaper seem to think it's crazy. anyone i know who does it...loves it. the bum genius ones (or other similar one-size pocket-types) are awesome, and great for overnites b/c you can stuff them w/ as many layers as you want. if they get stained simply hang them in the sun for the day and it will bleach the stains right out. if you need to consult someone, i've tried a lot, so feel free! good luck in the new venture!!

emily said...

oh and don't be surprised if G is requiring a size up in onesies and shorts...they are a bit on the bulky side!

Becca said...

Go Jess. You're making your hippie green friend proud! I'm pretty sure those are the same ones our friends Erin and Jordan used and they love them. I don't think their baby got any diaper rashes. Good luck! Yes, his little bum will be quite padded!

Cottage Mommy said...

yes, I have friends that love their cloth diapies they do! Me? Never had the nerve! You go though with those cute green diapers! One of my friend even sews her own...

alyssa said...

We plan to use these cloth diapers, too! Good luck!

Denise said...

I know I am of "granny" age, but all the reasons you gave are exactly the same ones I endorsed when my kids were babies in the '80s! In fact, most of my girlfriends were using disposables back then and watched with amazement when I did a "diapering demo" at a Le Leche League meeting. I did persist with cloth diapers even when the third child appeared and the laundry continued to multiply exponentially! It was worth the effort.