6.11.2009

take me out to the opera

Last weekend, my friend Kayt came to hang out with us for one final hurrah before the big move. On Friday night we went to Opera in the Park--Twice a year the San Francisco Opera does a live simulcast of its performance on the Jumbotron at AT&T park (aka the Giant's Stadium). It's a blast--a total free for all. You sit wherever you want, in the stands or bring a blanket for the outfield. You can pack a picnic or eat brats + wine from the concessions. You even get to sing "Take me out to the opera" in between Acts II & III. So fun!

So on Friday we went to see Tosca, and decided to bring Graham along to get a little culture in his life. It was outdoors and family friendly--so no one would mind a little late evening fussing. Or at least that's what we thought, until the stranger sitting in front of us turned around and basically reprimanded us for bringing such a small babe to such a big stadium. {Mind you, this is all transpiring while I'm attempting to breastfeed him discreetly in public...one of my new favorite pastimes.} She then proceeded to stare and offer Jeff tips on how to burp a baby. That's right--she told him he was bopping his back too hard. At this point, we're flustered and Graham is screaming. That's when it gets good. She held out her arms and offered to take him!! Creeeeepy!! I'm thinking: I don't even know you. I just met you. You just insulted our parenting. And we're in a crowd of 20,000 people. But sure, take my baby! I shook my head, said no way, and whisked him out of our seat faster than Graham can fill a clean diaper. Seriously people. I know she meant well, but still, I was astonished.

4 comments:

Cottage Mommy said...

Geesh, that is terrible! Like one little fussing two month old is going to make a difference with all of those people! When my daughter was just a couple of weeks old I had her in the post office trying to mail out her birth announcements. They already had the stamps on them but it turned out I needed more so I'm quickly trying to put stamps on them just to get the darn things out and Addison starts fussing. I don't even think I finished I grabbed her after a few minutes and walked out and as I passed this lady she said to me "Glad I'm not your baby." It didn't sink in until after I passed her that she had totally insulted me...I was soooo ticked. People just need to mind their own business! Sounds like a fun event though...sorry for the weird and busybody lady! And sorry for writing a book here!

bethany said...

Gosh, I loathe people who can't stand a little baby unhappiness. They should all be sent to Trollville where they can exchange disapproving angled eyebrows and scowl mouthed faces to their hearts content.

So, so creepy that she offered to take Graham...

I love seeing parents with tiny ones at museums, plays, etc...you get a hearty thumbs up from me :)

Katie {My Paisley Apron} said...

Oh gosh! LOL. I remember several of those experiences. When we had 7 week old Eli in SF last year, a lady at Coit Tower reprimanded us for traveling with such a young baby. As though Baby cares where you are when they're always snuggled in the sling or front pack. How is the feeding in public going? Do any of the slings help? I'm hoping to feel more adept with slings and feeding in public when we have our next one - with Elijah, I always just felt exposed and awkward. Any tips? :)

Kayt said...

You forgot to mention that the people behind us made an effort to lean forward and tell us that they didn't mind a fussy baby and not to worry! It was a great time no matter what happened!