12.01.2007

advent

Ready or not, December is here! Today marked the start of a fun new tradition for us: A custom Advent calendar to celebrate the season and the coming of our Savior! I whipped this simple calendar up out of a 24-ct. mini muffin tin, adhesive magnets, and Christmas paper scraps. (Thanks, Becca, for the clever idea!) At first I debated about the value of adding trinkets and treasures to each compartment for just me and my grown-up husband. Whatever would he do with mini erasers and stickers!? In the past week, a few of the blogs I read had similar advent calendars, filled with notes and prompts for celebrating each day. *Love this idea!*

The result is a combo: sweet treats + sweet words = the hope of sweet new traditions together. When I came home from work at 8:00 this morning (night shifts, boo!), I snuggled into bed and woke Jeff up with this in hand. How I love surprising.



I'm too excited--I simply have to share what's in store each day. But Shhh! Don't tell my sweet husband! The next 23 days are still a complete surprise...

1. Share the joy/Make a donation: Our church is putting together Christmas gifts for orphans in India this year.

2. Bright morning: Stop at Starbucks for gingerbread lattes before church.

3. Let the Christmas shopping begin!

4. Baking {Jeff's} favorite Christmas cookies, decorate, and enjoy while snuggling in front of our twinkling tree

5. Wear warm, cozy sweaters to the Advent carol service + cookie exchange at church

6. Find mistletoe...

7. Make a yummy breakfast; complete with cranberry muffins

8. Pick out a new Christmas CD

9. Invite friends over for holiday cheer

10. Make Christmas cards

11. Address + send cards

12. Homemade ornaments

13. *Tickets to go see the Nutcracker!!*

14. Date night: Window shopping downtown & checking out the tree in Union Square

15. Give gifts to the neighbors

16. Candlelight picnic on the living room floor {in front of the tree}

17. Watch Home Alone

18. Wrap gifts

19. FLY to MN!

20. Visit old friends

21. Attend little bro's Christmas choir concert

22. Grab hot chocolate thermos, drive around looking at lights

23. *pLaY in the sNoW!*

24. Christmas Eve program at church and exchange gifts.

6 comments:

Chelle said...

I love, love, love this idea...so darling. If I wasn't already up to ears in Christmas projects I'd have to do one myself. Next year maybe. :)

alyssa said...

Oh my gosh...I LOVE LOVE this advent calendar. I've been trying to think of something that would be perfect for my husband and I, and I really love this idea! Now I have something else to add to my list tomorrow. Can't get too far behind! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

What a great idea! Its so cute :)

Becca said...

I had to pull an all-nighter to get all 4 of mine done! I'll have to post mine today. I love yours, I couldn't wait to see what color combos you would choose. And thanks for the b-day present! It's great!

Leslie said...

So doing this..So doing this. Thanks for the inspiration :)

L

Leslie said...

finished mine, and linked here. Thanks Jessica.