9.25.2010

first haircut!

This morning while Jeff was shaving and I was finishing getting dressed, Graham got busy unloading all of his bath toys into the tub (then climbing in) saying, "ba? ba? ba?" How do you say no to such a sweet and not-so-subtle hint? So while I began filling up the tub, Jeff fetched the camera. I'd been waiting for a good opportunity to give G a little trim--sometime when Jeff could be home to snap a few pics to commemorate the momentous occasion. The bath seemed like a smart place to corral/distract the boy.

Sad to say, his hair was beginning to get a bit too long. And mangy. And horizontal with very vertical potential.
Meanwhile my heart is breaking. I thought for sure I'd wait until he was at least 2 to cut those precious blond curls, grown from the entirety of his babyhood. What is it about first haircuts that strip kids of their sweet baby-ness? What if the curls never come back? I loved how they'd twirl into the perfect baby boy 'do all humid summer long. Lately it's been more matted down with samples of his meals and buggers and other sorts of messes. Just a bit too unruly. It is time.

I only kinda sorta knew what I was in for, chasing a squirmy fish of a toddler around the tub with a scissors. I tried to keep this a straightforward, conservative trim. Just a little off the ears, a little off the mullet neck, then even out his bangs. Next time we'll consult the professionals...

It's funny, because one of my biggest parenting pet peeves is when moms cut their kids' bangs too ridiculously short, straight across the top of the forehead, in effort to keep them out of their eyes. I'm afraid I may have done that very thing to our son.

I am regretting this:

Somehow I think I'm more upset over this than he.

Now off to dry my tears and bury the remains in the depths of his baby book.

11 comments:

Katie {My Paisley Apron} said...

Awww, he looks sweet no matter what! We still go to the professionals but we're almost reaedy for me to cut Elijah's hair (maybe next spring when I don't have a huge stomach in the way!). The first few haircuts were full of tears (for him, not me) until we figured out to bring along the portable DVD player from your parents, and ever since then, he's always been fine. Well, with that and a (hairy, by the end) lollipop! I think little boys look precious with their "first day of school" sorts of haircuts!!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

What a doll!

Cottage Mommy said...

Oh, I totally get this. And by the way, G still looks absolutely adorable. No haircut could change that! I did the same with Quinn, his bangs tapered into a little point on his forehead...a little long. I trimmed them and they had this straight across trimmed look that drove me crazy until it grew out a little more!

Melinda said...

G still looks adorable! =) But I know what you mean. I have been having my son get his hair cut at a Professional Salon since he was a year and a half. He just turned 3 in July and I WISH I could cut his hair, because it would save me time and money. However, I still can't get up the nerve to try on my own...so PROPS TO YOU! =)

Amanda said...

You are so brave! I think the cut looks fantastic... and now you won't have to trim the bangs for a long time! What a sweet child. I love the picture of him opening the cupboard doors!

Pixie said...

Just wait until he's around 4 and he cuts it himself. lol My mom cried her eyes out after I cut mine to the scalp right in front over the right eye.

Don't worry, he's adorable and it doesn't look bad. In fact, it's quite cute.

daniella said...

He is mostly handsome with a hefty side of adorable. He's gotten so big!

Your photographs always amaze me, btw.

Lisa said...

Oh wow, he is gorgeous!

Elzi said...

I think every mom has been here... And the kids don't care. At all.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I totally would not have noticed a thing if you hadn't said anything, so I hope you are feeling okay now, because it looks great :-)

Miss G said...

I think he looks cute, Jessica! I am looking forward (I'm sure naively) to "haircut nights" around our place as I already cut my husband's hair. Baby boy's got to get some hair first though. :) Kelly