7.09.2010

organized chaos

Hard to believe we've lived in our new house for almost a whole week already. It's high time I took a break from all of the settling in and parked myself in front of the computer to write about it all, don't you think?

Wish I could say we're all unpacked and living happily ever after. We're up and functioning with the essentials. I was hard pressed to find a few neat+tidy scenes of our new life to share. The laundry is done. Can I get a woot-woot for that?Before I recount the details of the last 7 days, I must thank you so sincerely for all of your kind words about our new place. All of your comments were exactly the boost I needed to survive the cardboard jungle last weekend. You really know how to make a girl covered in dust, sweat, and packing peanuts feel amazing. You are honestly the best.

Last Saturday the moving crew (dad+mom+2 little brothers) arrived promptly at noon. The day went something like this:
Load SUV. Load van. Load trailer. Load pickup.
Pizza.
Pray nothing flies off the open bed trailer on the freeway. (If so, my windshield would be the first thing to go!)
Arrive at new house.
Rejoice that windshield and earthly possessions remain intact.
Unload SUV. Unload van. Unload trailer. Unload pickup.
Meet the neighbors. Stop & chat.
Return to apartment.
Ice cream.
Repeat the load/unload procedure x3.

Burger King.

The guys were amazing.
They did almost all of the muscle work without complaining.
But the body odor was horrific.
My mom and I were the cleaning dream team.
We scrubbed and vacuumed and swept around the moving men.
We held down the camps.
We packed up one fridge and unloaded it into the other.

While we were distracted and fussing over fridge shelves, G kept busy by cracking open about a dozen eggs all over himself and on the new kitchen floor.
Wish the camera had not been packed at that point.
This place was quickly christened with messes and mishaps.
Makes it feel like home.
This week has been exciting and frustrating and overwhelming and still surreal.
Back in the day, before we were homeowners, we thought we were busy people. Now we feel busy on a whole new level. The project list is long. I need an extra dose of patience and contentment while we work to make this place our own. I know it's going to be an unending work in progress.

I think we are going to love loving our home.

14 comments:

JSchaller said...

If He brings you to it, He'll bring you through it!

Congratulations. Your house looks lovely in the pics you posted. (I'm a bit green with envy!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura Hooker said...

Wow, busy busy bee! Can't wait to see more pictures~Laura

Jenna Lou said...

I remember our last move. We didn't have any help from family. It was treacherous. But after time it's nice to find the new normal.

Congrats again!!

Megan said...

So happy you're getting settled :) Moving is a pain but hooray for being homeowners!

What a silly G-Man!

Nancy said...

So happy move went well, that little G "cracks" me up.(sorry for the pun)

You are going to LOVE owning your home. I agree, the list can belong but it's all yours. That list can be made up of any dream you wish to create. Congrats, can not wait to see some pics.

Christine E-E said...

moving is ??? I remember the days of packing & moving my girls from college housing - one daughter moved each year! the other moved 6 times in 8 years... urgh!
but - it is freeing (when you purge belongings); exhausting & stinky; thrilling to be a homeowner (you can do what you want - paint walls a color that represents you); and a creative process - putting your mark on your own place.
It's a beautiful place and I can't wait to see additional pics as you settle in!
getting a few walks around the neighborhood is good for restless children! ha!
Take one day at a time!

On Second Street said...

i can't wait to see more pictures! looks like the place will be loaded with charm!

Bluebelle said...

It will all be so so worth it in the end. Keep going!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

What a fab place - just happened upon your site - sounds great - well done and congrats.
Sue

Marisa said...

I've been out of the blog loop for a while, so I missed your house post. Congratulations! It's so beautiful! It has a lot of character. :)

Milind said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Christmas Text Messages