4.20.2010

{enjoy} wedding workshop

In March, Jeff and I had the opportunity to attend an immensely inspiring photography workshop with Erin Johnson, one of the premier Twin Cities wedding photographers. At first I hesitated to post this, not sure how much I wanted to share. Am over that now, so here goes...

Showing up at the workshop, I felt really inadequate. {Up until this point, I'd just been tagging along on Jeff's photo shoots, fixing hair, holding reflectors, etc.} I was so nervous all day--no lies, half the images I took during the photo shoot were out of focus! But the feeling of being stretched and challenged outside of my comfort zone was totally refreshing. The experience turned out to be even more uplifting than humbling and I feel like we gained such a sense of direction. Erin was a truly awesome and encouraging mentor and the workshop really opened my mind to the possibility of growing into a husband+wife photography team. Not only that, but hearing her so candidly share her wisdom and experiences definitely rekindled my love affair with weddings. Since then I've been totally motivated to practice shooting whenever I have the chance and to keep my camera in manual as much as possible. I am constantly learning from my mistakes. Can I let you in on a little secret? This summer I am going to do some second shooting at our weddings. As in taking real pictures for real people. Totally intimidating but absolutely exciting.

See some more of our photos from the workshop here!

7 comments:

bethany said...

Jess, I'm so in love with all the images taken by you two at the workshop! Truly don't believe they could be any more gorgeous :)

Can't wait to find myself a dude, put in a reasonable amount of dating time, secure a ring and then hire you two to spend the day snapping shots at my wedding! :) (Oh, distant dreams!)

Jenna Lou said...

Bethany is right now... your work is stunning!!

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog today. You are such a talented photographer, and I'm inspired to start working harder on my photography skills. I'm also really excited about making your strawberry salad. I just added it to my menu list for next week!

carissa said...

the photos are stunning!!! wow! you really are incredibly talented. now if only i lived near you and you could take pictures of our family!

Amanda said...

After talking with you and Jeff, we are so incredibly excited for the wedding. Am glad that you will be joining mr. on the wedding day to help get some wonderful shots:)

paula said...

sounds like a fun time. I second shoot for my husband and i love it.

Fairlightday said...

WTG Jessica! You are going to do an amazing job. Just look at the amazing stuff you are doing now! You will do great, I know.