5.23.2008

birthday no. 1


This little blog's having a birthday today! It's silly to keep track of such things, I know. But...I just need an excuse to reflect on the experience & joy this has been! I think it's important for people to take time to reminisce on where they've come from, in order to make sense of where they're going. As I was saying, one year ago today, I was in the midst of a crisis. More craziness and stress than I ever bargained for. We were newlyweds. Writing capstone papers, studying for finals, & graduating from college. We were finishing film projects, throwing parties, and busier than ever. And oh yeah, we were beyond broke. We had no jobs lined up, no new home awaiting us; yet we were frantically packing up our apartment & racing to get a U-haul just so that we could leave our fam & friends, the safe & familiar, & everything else we knew and move to California. Why? Because we were nuts. Eager for an adventure. And our lease was about to run out. I still can't believe we ever took such a huge leap of faith. Well, to be honest I would've felt safer leaping off a cliff. I was reluctant about moving {to say the least} and it took me a loong, loong time to warm up to the idea. I'm still warming up to the idea today.

And that's where this dear blog comes in. I created this tiny piece of the internet simply to share the story of our move and new beginning with my friends + fam. Just for keeping in touch purposes. It's turned out to be much more, and mostly a fabulous blessing: I've met wonderful friends in every corner of the country--the world in fact. I've been inspired & encouraged in more ways than I could've imagined. This has become a place to share postive thoughts and lovely things daily, even when I'm feeling a bit lonely or overwhelmed. Believe me, blogging has helped kick me out of more funks than I care to elaborate upon. In lots of ways, it's been a refuge; a source for learning & growing. I just love sharing whatever delightful thoughts or experiences come my way. It's motivated me in my creative pursuits. And I always look forward, sometimes even live for the next post...because after all, it's about being alive & well. I hope that the next year will be filled with so many more dreams & adventures & projects to share.

But that's more than you ever wanted to hear about me. More importantly, to anyone who has ever stopped by and taken the time to read even a word of my ramblings, or dropped a sweet comment, thank you. I am so grateful for you. Truly. Your kindness means the world. I am so blessed by you.

Photo by the talented Zalita via flickr.

6 comments:

Fairlightday said...

Happy 1st year blog birthday! So very exciting. I'm thankful to have met you over this past year and been a {small}part of your new life. :)
Hugs!

Lisa said...

I think we enjoy your blog more then you know! You brighten up our days with your sweetness and creativity.
So glad you took the leap of faith, followed your dreams, and started this little place of true "swellness"...

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday Bloggy! I love reading your posts and seeing your pics, I had no idea you weren't from CA! What a cool lil story...

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Congratulations, happy 1-year anniversary! I adore your blog, and all your inspiring ideas for how to live a swell life!

have a lovely said...

happy happy birthday swell one! What a precious blog you have created no matter the reason has become one swell spot on the web! I too feel that in a handful of months {not quite one year} that mine has already evolved since that first post.

Livy said...

I liked this post. My blog has had a similar purpose for me...I'm still in school and I feel like I'm never settled - a school year here, a summer there etc. It's nice to have a little piece of the internet to call home :)